You know that beautiful mural at the corner of Bartlett and 21st Streets? Daniel Galvez painted that mural, titled Dream, in 1996 and it’s had a healthy life until recently. Now the artist has generously offered his time to restore the mural to its original glory! Check out the original opening with Mayor Willie Brown, Ruth Asawa of Ruth’s Table, and other local luminaries below:
Want to be a part of the community? Learn the art of mural-making with one of the Mission’s most famous (he also painted Carnaval on 24th and South Van Ness). Come paint and restore Dream with Daniel in the month of October!
Email jeremy [at] missioncommunitymarket.org for details.
Amate Mission by Jet Martinez, jetromartinez.com
As some of you already know, Mission Community Market supports an array of local arts and music.
We are partnering with various muralist organizations, to help beautify the market location and showcase emerging and established artists.
Upcoming mural projects include a new youth mural to be installed with the help of artist Chris Treggiari. Another mural is planned, pending funding, for this summer. Stay tuned!
Youth Mural Panel with Chris Treggiari of Root Division
San Francisco’s StreetSmARTs program supported the Amate Mission mural, painted on the Mission Market wall and we are very grateful for their support. StreetsSmARTs is a collaboration between the San Francisco Arts Commission (SFAC) and the Department of Public Works (DPW) that aims to restore San Francisco’s stature as a recognized, international destination for mural art. MCM looks forward to working with StreetSmARTs on future murals. If you’d like to support a mural or improvements to the streetscape (e.g. planters, fences, and trash areas), you can support MCM here.
Thanks to your comments, MCM has put a lot of the neighborhood’s wishes for Bartlett Street into one place. Over three weeks in December 2010, we asked you to complete this sentence, “My vision for Bartlett Street is…”
Here are photos from those three weeks and your responses, in no particular order. We will take your input and use it to build a community process that can help transform this street into a celebrated public space for the neighborhood. Thanks everyone and happy holidays!
- Live music
- more trees
- tiled walkways
- wider sidewalks
- a park
- artisan/flea market
- block party
- sculptures, painting
- Involve City College, outdoor classes
- more murals, collaborate with precita eyes
- street gallery
- Market twice a week
- expanding market into mission and valencia
- do something with 826 Valencia
- Market can be overwhelming in size, make smaller
- kids area
- more produce vendors, hot food, craft market
- outdoor seating, benches
- more green space, replace concrete with green
- speed bumps, no cars, no poop!
- more advertising and sign for market around the mission
- Dance space, maybe some chalk art
- Small ampitheater, or stage for comunity events
- puppet shows, more programming
- some sort of bartering area where people could trade goods
- open mic
- bright lights, more colorful
- remove graffitti
- More international market, in the spirit of SF
- benches and tables
- More dynamic booth areas, maybe make them more permanent on the street
- build a stage. could be an endcap for the street
- skateboard area
- Keep sidewalks and street clean
- Food demos, hot food
- kids activities
- Multi-cultural experience
- get urban forest involved
- get Rebar and Spur involved
- playground, or performance space
- mobile gallery.